Residential Riding Camps
Stonar's Residential Riding Camp is a bespoke programme, offering beginner through to advanced riders the opportunity to gain hands-on, in-depth daily stable and riding experience.
Children, aged from 9 to 16, will enjoy the opportunity to stay and ride at our co-educational boarding school set on a beautiful, rural 80-acre campus in Wiltshire. Stonar is home to the UK's finest riding academy, with a world-class, onsite, British Horse Society approved Equestrian Centre offering an immersive experience for riders.
Children can bring their own horse/pony or use one of Stonar's own horses (subject to availability). Prices start at £995 per week.
We cater for beginner, novice, intermediate and advanced riders. We are not able to accommodate complete beginners (still on lead rein).
Stonar's Equestrian Centre is led by Director of Riding, Ellie Halsey. Ellie leads a team of experienced BHS-qualified coaches who are passionate about supporting riders, not only during their riding lessons, but in learning to deliver a high standard of horse-care and broadening their knowledge in all areas. Riders will spend their days making full use of our extensive onsite equestrian facilities, combined with fun leisure activities arranged by our residential staff, in the unbeatable surroundings and facilities of the school site.
The camp includes:
- Daily riding lessons with BHS-qualified coaches
- Opportunity to bring your own horse or loan one of ours (subject to availability)
- Riding 2-3 times per day (subject to weather conditions), with a combination of flatwork and jumping
- Stable management
- Friday afternoon tea and rosette presentation
- Onsite leisure activities using the school facilities
- Accommodation in our boarding houses and all meals
31 March - 5 April
7 - 12 April
14 - 19 July
21 - 26 July
4 - 9 August
11 - 16 August
Bookings now open!
Please book early to secure your child's place.
Operated by Stonar's own staff, our Residential Riding Camps provide British and international children aged 9 - 16 years old the opportunity to combine riding and stable management whilst enjoying our impressive facilities in a safe, rural environment.
Our extensive onsite, modern, equestrian facilities include first class indoor and outdoor schools, stabling for 64 horses, an Olympic-designed cross country course with a variety of different fences and a hacking track. In addition, the excellent boarding facilities, swimming pool, grounds and sports hall ensure that time away from the stables will be fun-filled, comfortable and Stonar will quickly become a home-from-home.
- Extensive Equestrian Centre with BHS qualified riding coaches
- Three boarding houses with a range of single / shared rooms
- Comfortable communal areas with kitchen, TV and free Wi-Fi
- Shared bathrooms with a ratio of 1:4 students
- Free bedding and laundry service
- Boarding house safe available and tuck shop service offered
- Indoor swimming pool and Sports Hall
- Dedicated Houseparent
- 24/7 on site medic
The camp starts on a Sunday afternoon, with riders arriving between 3pm - 5pm, for a tour of the site, time to settle your pony or horse if you are bringing one with you, and the evening to get to know the boarding house and the other riders.
A typical day begins with a hearty, freshly cooked breakfast in the Dining Hall. You will then head to the yard for morning stables and to prepare for your riding lessons and stable management activities. This will run until 1.00pm when it will be time to break for a healthy lunch and some time with friends. After lunch you will return to the yard for lunchtime stables and to prepare for your afternoon's riding or, on some afternoons, you will take part in other activities using the school's fantastic facilities. Evening stables will start at 3.45pm and from 4.30pm you will have a fun evening of dinner and activities ahead, offering you many opportunities to make new friends and try new things. When bed time beckons, you will fall into a deep sleep in our peaceful boarding houses.
- 9 to 16 years old
- Beginner, Novice, Intermediate and Advanced (not able to accept complete beginners)
Riding group size:
- Maximum 6
Staff to student ratio:
- In riding 1:6
- In evening activities 1:15
- In boarding 1:20
- Residential with all meals provided
- Single, twin or multiple occupancy rooms with shared bathroom facilities
Course fees per week (2024):
- £995 (bring your own horse / pony - includes livery*)
- £1245 (use of a Stonar horse / pony)
*Livery is on a DIY basis and includes hay and wood pellet bedding. Haylage is available for an additional cost. Hard feed is not included. Please note your horse/pony must be fully vaccinated and have received their equine flu booster within 6 months of arriving
Stonar is widely known as the best equestrian school in the UK. If a pupil doesn't have their own horse, they can borrow one from the school's sizeable pack and join in the fun. There are myriad ways to have a good time: pupils can practise dressage steps in the Olympic sized outdoor arena, channel Pippa Funnell around the cross-country course, and master the art of mucking out in the 65 stables.