Creative Arts & Design
Pupils are part of a vibrant and diverse visual arts community where everyone has the chance to participate and explore their creative side.
Art, Fashion Design & Textiles and Photography
As the huge variety of stunning work on display around the school shows, our modern, well-equipped studio and classrooms provide opportunities for work in a range of media, including fine art, photography, ceramics and textiles. The impressive works are also a testament to the excellent support that our teachers give to enable pupils to develop their ideas and artistic style.
During lessons, pupils are given every chance to discover and express their interpretations of the world around them using a range of media. In fine art, pupils are taught key skills, such as life drawing, and in textiles and ceramics, pupils learn techniques that enable them to produce quality projects.
Many of our pupils go on to secure places at leading art colleges and several of our pupils have won awards within arts competitions, including:
- 2nd place in the KS4 2D Art category at the Independent Schools Association (ISA) Art Competition National Finals 2023
- Highly commended in the KS5 2D Art category, at the Independent Schools Association (ISA) Art Competition National Finals 2023
- 1st place for Sculpture and 3D Art (middle school) at the Globeducate Art Competition
- 2nd place for Painting (middle school) at the Globeducate Art Competition
- 3rd place for Photography (upper school) at the Globeducate Art Competition
- Two light-filled studios, equipped with a dark room and an IT suite for photography
- A kiln for ceramics, and ample space to work in
- Dedicated art studio for Sixth Formers, providing a space to make their own and work in throughout the week.
New Design & Technology Workshop
A new state of the art Design & Technology Workshop will be opening shortly on site, located next to the existing Art, Fashion and Photography classrooms bringing together the Creative Arts Department.
The new workshop will be equipped with various woodworking equipment and machinery and also the latest CAD/ CAM technology including 3D printers, laser cutters, and CNC machines. This will allow pupils to explore their creativity and develop their skills in a wide range of design and technology disciplines.
Qualifications and Destinations
Design & Technology
Throughout Years 7 to 9, pupils have opportunity through the core Art curriculum and the Stonar Clubs programme to develop their art and photography skills to enable informed decisions about GCSE choices to be made.